Friday, December 5, 2008
The preliminary card for the World Cagefighting Alliance's February 6th inaugural event at Boardwalk Hall has been released, and MMA Journalist feels very optimistic about what's been put on paper. Instead of spending the entire budget on talent that won't sell tickets, matchmaker Gary Marino has wisely put together a roster of local draws - a fact that bodes well for any New Jersey promotion interested in staying in business longer than a show or two. Here's the card, subject to change of course:
- Tom Gallicchio vs. Rich Ashkar - a welterweight bout that was supposed to be a title fight at the last ROC.
- Matt Lee vs. TBA - Lee is a tough-as-nails lightweight and took Eddie Alvarez the distance at a BodogFIGHT.
- Al Buck vs. Jose Rodriguez - a welterweight battle between two huge ticket sellers.
- Doug Gordon vs. Mike Medrano - two very strong welterweights with promising futures.
- Chris Schlesinger vs. Andrew Calandrelli - a lightweight scrap featuring excellent grapplers.
- Mahnseah Boley vs. Pat Collins - a heavyweight Bombsquad vs. AMA FC/Team Renzo bout.
- Kevin Roddy vs. TBA - Roddy is exciting and one of the best featherweights in the Garden State.
- Ryan Smith vs. Anthony D'Angelo - welterweight D'Angelo is a dangerous fighter, and has been a force at New Jersey shows for years.
- Lester Caslow vs. Pat White - featherweight Caslow is a very talented up-and-comer.
- Brian DeMuro vs. Eric Henry - Team Balance vs. Bombsquad at welterweight.
- Steve DeAngelis vs. Doug Solnier - DeAngelis is a top-ranked featherweight and BCX champ.
- Anthony Leone vs. Joey Camacho - Camacho is another tough featherweight.
- Daniel Tavares vs. Brian Danner - two relative newcomers.