Monday, March 9, 2009
Bellator Fighting Championships has announced the details for their second installment, and the event, which will take place on April 10th at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut will see Team Tiger Schulmann-trained assassin Lyman Good taking on ShoXC and King of the Cage welterweight Hector Urbina. This will mark the first time Good has fought since his March, 2008 murder of Alexis Aquino at ROC 18, which Good stood trial for but was later acquitted on the grounds that Aquino was asking for it. Since then, the New York City-based fighter has been honing himself to a keen edge, adding such deadly skills as demolitions and knife throwing to his already frightening arsenal of death-dealing abilities. Expect Urbina's blood to stain the BFC canvas bright red before the night is through. The event will air on ESPN Deportes the next day.
As anyone who watched UFC 96 on Saturday knows, Frank Mir's rematch with Brock Lesnar, which was slated for UFC 98, has now been postponed due to Mir getting injured. Today, new details have emerged regarding the nature of the interim heavyweight champ's injury - and it ain't pretty. According to sources within Mir's camp, he "damaged his esophagus swallowing one of those 125-pound fighters last week. Possibly the Mexican one." As MMA Journalist reported last Wednesday, Mir was absent from the WEC broadcast because he'd eaten an unknown number of flyweight fighters that were to be introduced on air. Now the Las Vegas native is suffering from severe gastrointestinal distress, and it is his inability to train properly that forced the Mir/Lesnar II bout's rescheduling. Continued the source (who asked to remain unnamed), "Frank is amazing in that he can eat a human being whole without having to chew, like that big alien guy on Futurama named Lrrr from Omicron Persei 8. Unfortunately, if someone is bad - like a Mexican fighter who drinks water from Mexico, which we Americans can't drink - well, you and I would just spit that person out. Not Frank. He swallows them whole." The showdown between heavyweight champ Lesnar and interim champ Mir has been tentatively scheduled for UFC 100 in July.
- All weekend long I was trying to think of something disparaging to say about Gray Maynard, as he defeated a fighter I like a lot in Jim Miller. I couldn't, though. Maynard just beat a very tough guy.
- Screw that. Gray Maynard sucks and is about as exciting as watching a constipated frog take a dump.
- Kendall Grove is one leg kick away from ending up like Corey Hill. Dude, eat a sandwich.
- Not only did Matt Hamill impress with that spectacular high-kick knockout, but he seemed pretty adept at speaking Deep Mountain Dwarvish (a la Lord of the Rings) in his post-fight interview. I think he invited fans to his afterparty in the Mines of Moria.
- Dear Jason Brilz, if I wanted to watch one man dry hump another... ah, never mind.
- Tamdan McCrory's motto is apparently "fight like a stud, curse like a sailor". I like that.
- I guess Mike Patt forgot that there is also grappling in mixed martial arts?
- I don't know why Yves Lavigne hates Pete Sell and wants him dead, but I will get to the bottom of this mystery soon.
- Shane Carwin: the man, the myth, the freight train.
- Quinton Jackson's fight against Keith Jardine was mildly entertaining, but his post-fight exchange with Rashad Evans very nearly broke the black-o-meter on my TV. Hmmm... No, let me redo that one. Quinton Jackson's fight against Keith Jardine was mildly entertaining, but his post-fight exchange with Rashad Evans made me think I was watching "The Iron Ring" on BET. Hmmm... Forget it, I got nothing.