Sunday, December 28, 2008
- Cheick Kongo looked great in the cage. I also thought he was fantastic in "Gladiator" with Russel Crowe, he was solid in "Blood Diamond" opposite Leonardo DiCaprio, and he was the lone bright spot in "Never Back Down".
- I hated seeing Wanderlei Silva destroyed like that. Gone are his speed and overwhelming aggression. There's no denying Father Time has caught up with him.
- Reese Andy vs. Matt Hamill is the reason why watching wrestlers box makes me nauseous.
- Based on the extensive bandaging on Mike Massenzio's leg, I was sure he was channeling the powers of the Ancient Egyptian Mummy. Alas, it didn't work.
- Frank Mir. Believe it.
- Rashad Evans didn't just win by ground and pound, he won by GROUND AND POUND.
Tragedy has struck yet again to the mixed martial arts community. Late Friday night UFC and EliteXC veteran Justin Eilers was shot and killed in an apparent domestic dispute at a family gathering in Idaho. I only knew Eilers from saying "hi" to him backstage when he fought Andrei Arlovski at UFC 53 at Boardwalk Hall, and I congratulated him when he won his headlining bout at World's Best Fighter. He seemed like a cool, no-nonsense dude who was definitely game in the ring. Rest in peace, Justin Eilers. You will be missed.