Yeah, so, Fedor’s fighting Bigfoot in New Jersey and there’s a heavyweight tournament and if you accidentally mixed together the urine of some the tournament competitors the laboratory where they do the post-fight drug screening would freakin’ explode, blah, blah, blah. What many have forgotten in all the excitement is that there’s a pretty decent Strikeforce installment scheduled for this Saturday, featuring the likes of Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawler and old man Herschel Walker. But MMA Journalist hasn’t forgotten, and as proof, here are some nice fun facts about the show!
- Roger Gracie is putting his undefeated record on the line when he faces Trevor Prangley, but did you know that his nickname among his clan members is “Lutador de Porco-espinho”? It means “fighter of porcupine” in Portuguese, and it stems from an unfortunate incident at a family picnic when he was eight-years old.
- Trevor Prangley hates baked beans.
- Ex-football player Walker is so old, when he last stepped on the field players wore leather helmets. That’s old!
- Lawler will be facing Ronaldo Souza with Souza’s middleweight belt up for grabs. Curiously, Lawler has never had a belt – he prefers to use rope to hold his pants up.
- Souza’s nickname is “Jacare”, which means “spaghetti sauce” in Portuguese. There is no explanation for that.
- Diaz was at first very apprehensive about agreeing to fight Cyborg, stating that he didn’t think he had “a chance in hell of winning” or coming out of the fight without serious injury. Diaz finally said yes only after Scott Coker clarified that he would in fact be facing Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos and not Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos.