- Other than wearing him like a blanket, Dan Hornbuckle had absolutely nothing for Ben Askren.
- Askren is going to get killed by Lyman Good. I hope.
- Note to fighters interested in getting in on a Bellator tournament: do not announce your intentions to participate in a tournament and then fight in a single-bout match as a tune-up. You’re going to get killed.
- Rich Attonito is clearly good. Also, Jamie Yager is clearly sucky.
- Dennis Siver looks like a poorly-constructed action figure.
- Congrats to Aaron Simpson for earning the “Best Faceplant in an MMA Bout” award. Seriously, he looked like he was a reject from the tryouts for “So You Think You Can Dance?”
- Whoever let Matt Hamill compete with the gnarly staph sore on his back should be shot. Hamill himself should be shot twice.
- Good showing for Court McGee. Did Kris McCray not know he had to prepare for a fight?
- Will Campuzano needed that loss, as only a fighter with an unhealthy sense of self-worth would sport a haircut like that.
- Oh my God, it took Chris Horodecki almost two and a half rounds to defeat someone with Down’s Syndrome. Sad. So sad.
- How can you lose with a name like “Bendy”? Via grappling, apparently.
- Will “Bad Mofo” Kerr.
- Josh Grispi is pure beast. The sport’s 145-pound division is now the most exciting division in all of MMA.
- Mark Hominick versus Yves Jabouin was a slobberknocker for sure. I guess as long as Hominick doesn’t fight grapplers it’s all good in the ‘hood.
- World Extreme Groinfighting. Apologies to Jamie Varner’s nuts.
- A majority draw? How the hell did Kamal Shalorus not lose a point for that last kick to the junk? Was referee Josh Rosenthal in on the fix?
- Kenny Florian did a great job commentating for both the TUF Finale and the WEC. That’s all I have to say on the matter.
Monday, June 21, 2010
It was the first outdoor event I've been to since a 2001 King of the Cage at Soboba Casino, and despite a thin card it was pretty entertaining. The home team went 5-1, with Chris Liguori, Jose Rodriguez and Adam Fearon racking up strong wins. The decision in the Dante Rivera/Dan Cramer bout could've gone either way, but no way did Rivera take all three rounds. Also, it was cool having people screaming on a rollercoaster in the background, although if a promoter plans a future show on the runway of an active airport or in the center of a racetrack, I will have to boycott the event.