Thursday, July 23, 2009
Wow. Josh Barnett and steroids. Geez, did the guy learn nothing from his 2002 debacle? He was the UFC champ then, having convincingly defeated Randy Couture only to have the belt stripped for a failed drug test, and that was the last time he would grace the Octagon. Now he's screwed himself out of a bout with Fedor - a bout he very well could have won. And for what? Anyhoo, here's a nice handy-dandy list of the top five heavyweights who've proven to be their own worst enemy. Of course, number one is...
- Josh Barnett - the man has submission skills, can bang when he has to, and has long been considered one of the best in his division. Unfortunately, on the eve of his match-up with the man considered the best heavyweight in the world, Barnett screws himself and his considerable number of fans out of what should have been his crowning achievement: a win over Fedor. Damn you, athletic commission, for your random drug screenings!
- David "Tank" Abbott - the ultimate slugger who elevated not training into an art form. Tank was the sport's first heel, alternately loved and despised by one and all, and came thisclose to winning a UFC belt. Alas, it was never meant to be. Damn you, lungs, for needing oxygen!
- Bobby Hoffman - a talent-rich heavyweight from the Miletich camp, this guy had knockout power and could compete in the Octagon with the best of them. He was also apparently crazy as a loon, and on the night of his last UFC loss, he beat on his new bride and wound up in the slammer. Damn you, brain chemistry, for needing regulating!
- Tim Sylvia - a dangerous and capable striker with the charisma of a test tube full of Ebola, this guy lost the UFC belt the first time around for testing positive for steroids, and when he lost the belt again - to Couture at UFC 68 - his blaming of his loss on nagging injuries made his stock plummet even further. The icing on the cake, however, is his stellar performance against aged boxing legend Ray Mercer last month. Damn you, ex-boxing champ, for remembering how to throw a punch!
- Brock Lesnar - ugh. Dude, please don't talk. Please.
Just an FYI in case you're in the area: tonight is Karriem Abdallah Production's amateur MMA championships event at the Essex County College Gymnasium in Newark, New Jersey. A bunch of belts will be contested in the cage, so, um, yeah. Check it out.