Friday, September 18, 2009
Aside from UFC 103 on pay-per-view and the free preliminary bouts that will be aired on SpikeTV prior to the main card, there's some MMA to be had this weekend for those in the Five Boroughs. Yes, there are two underground shows scheduled. No, I will not reveal where or when they'll be. Yes, MMA Journalist will be liveblogging one of them. No, I will not bring you back a bloody ear or other discarded body part. That said, stay tuned.
- Fedor will fight on/ Strikeforce's November 7th show./ CBS baby!
- Where will this show be?/ Sears Center in Chicago? / Damn. Too far to drive.
- TUF 10 ratings are / huge thanks to Kimbo. Dana/ is two-faced - but smart!
- Cung Le has stepped down/ as Strikeforce middleweight champ./ The fight world says "Meh!"
- Phillipe Nover was/ paid despite not fighting. Props/ to Dana for that one.
- Sylvia fights in/ Adrenaline tonight. Tim,/ please be in shape. Please.
- Brown and Aldo will/ meet at WEC 44. /Well, not "meet". They'll fight.
Just a few scant days after UFC Fight Night 19 and the TUF 10 premiere comes UFC 103, a pay-per-view extravaganza featuring no title bouts and no match-ups of any real consequence. Wahoo! Fighting at a catch-weight of 195 are Vitor Belfort and Rich Franklin, because 195 pounds is cool and hip and all the kids are doing it, while Mirk CroCop returns to hopefully not get clobbered. So, predictions!
- The last seven fights Tyson Griffin has taken part in have ended via decision, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's going to defeat jiu-jitsu black belt Hermes Franca by... Falcon punch!
- Josh Koscheck and Frank Trigg are two solid wrestlers who like to throw punches and get knocked out. Look for a double-KO in this one.
- Martin Kampmann is Danish, which means when you bite into him you get a mouthful of frosting and some raisins. Brit striker Paul Daley hates raisins.
- CroCop is going to TKO the less-experienced Junior dos Santos, which sets up a nice revenge match for a future UFC between the Croatian and Senior dos Santos.
- Belfort is going to hit Franklin so hard, Franklin will no longer be qualified to teach high school arithmetic - only gym or special education.