Because There's A Fistfight Going On Somewhere In New York Right Now, And You Should Know About It
Friday, October 1, 2010
Posted by Jim Genia at 5:04 PM No comments:
Observations from My Couch: WEC 51 "Death of a Zombie"
- Mark Hominick has been looking great lately. Am I the only one who thinks he might be able to beat Jose Aldo on the feet? If the two fought, at the very least we’d get to see Aldo use his ground game to put Hominick away.
- Chan Sung Jung is the most likeable fighter in the WEC, so watching George Roop plaster him was especially hard. Long live the Korean Zombie!
- I’m not going to say that Charlie Valencia was a can, but when Miguel Torres crushed him, there was definitely a distinct crunching-metal sound.
- Zhang Tie Quan: the Coca-Cola of products seeking to gain a foothold in an emerging market. However, if he continues to face scrubs, he will only ever be the Coke Zero.
- Donald Cerrone and Jamie Varner had a very entertaining scrap, but I’m left wondering why they must fight each other in the cage forever. Is it a gypsy curse?
- Manny Gamburyan never stood a chance.
- Right now the most intriguing match-up for Aldo is for him to face Frankie Edgar. That bout would never happen – what if Aldo won? What would the UFC lightweight belt be worth then? But it would be a huge fight nonetheless.
Posted by Jim Genia at 10:49 AM No comments:
Observations from My Couch: Bellator 31 "Ultimate Megumi"
- Was Yoshiyuki Yoshida angling to get into the next Bellator welterweight tournament with that fight? ‘Cause if so, that was his first mistake. Anyone who’s supposedly a shoe-in for a tournament slot always gets their ass kicked in their tune-up bout. Of course, his second mistake was blocking Chris Lozano’s strikes with his face.
- Someone please explain to me why Mark Holata wasn’t in the heavyweight tournament. Seriously, that bout was why we watch the big boys fight.
- I could see Zoila Frausto winning two rounds, but no way did she win all three. Jessica Aguilar got jobbed.
- Did Mike Chandler TKO the lead singer of “Creed”?
- Megumi Fujii is so badass, she doesn’t train with Josh Barnett. Josh Barnett trains with her.
Posted by Jim Genia at 10:31 AM No comments:
MMA Tournament in NYC on October 16
There's an MMA tournament in the East Village on October 16th - an MMA tournament of the UFC Undisputed videogame variety, that is. The host is our pal Matt Kaplowitz, a.k.a., the Fight Nerd, and the location is 8 Bit & Up Video Games at St. Marks Place and Second Avenue. More info to come.
Posted by Jim Genia at 10:04 AM No comments:
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)