Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Sunday, December 28, 2008
- Cheick Kongo looked great in the cage. I also thought he was fantastic in "Gladiator" with Russel Crowe, he was solid in "Blood Diamond" opposite Leonardo DiCaprio, and he was the lone bright spot in "Never Back Down".
- I hated seeing Wanderlei Silva destroyed like that. Gone are his speed and overwhelming aggression. There's no denying Father Time has caught up with him.
- Reese Andy vs. Matt Hamill is the reason why watching wrestlers box makes me nauseous.
- Based on the extensive bandaging on Mike Massenzio's leg, I was sure he was channeling the powers of the Ancient Egyptian Mummy. Alas, it didn't work.
- Frank Mir. Believe it.
- Rashad Evans didn't just win by ground and pound, he won by GROUND AND POUND.
Friday, December 26, 2008
- In the contest for the light-heavyweight belt, the "Ultimate Fighter" will win.
- In the battle for the UFC Interim Heavyweight Championship, the smart money is on the guy with the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt.
- Who will come out on top in CB Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio? My guess would be the wrestler. Yeah, the wrestler. Let's go with that one.
- Mustafa Al-Turk vs. Cheick Kongo? Go with the foreigner.
- I don't know who's going to emerge victorious in the Quinton Jackson/Wanderlei Silva match-up, but I can say that, win or lose, Jackson is most likely going to hear voices and behave erratically - and possibly drive his car onto the sidewalk.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
- Rich Clementi
- David Baron
- Rob Emerson
- Spencer Fisher
- Melvin Guillard
- Roger Huerta
- Aaron Riley
- Jeremy Stephens
- Sam Stout
This list is by no means all there is to choose from, but these are all people under contract with the UFC, and I could see each and every one of them trying to throw a strike before realizing taking Nover down and laying on him is the way to go. Who will Joe Silva pick? Time will tell.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
- Is it me or did Dave Kaplan look like the late Evan Tanner's miniature clone?
- Admittedly, Junie Browning did show a lot of skill and talent. As long as he's not acting like a douchebag, he's actually kind of likable.
- Wilson Gouveia TKO'd the heck out of Jason MacDonald - a feat made less impressive by the fact that Gouveia failed to make weight. That five-pound weight difference really is an unfair advantage. I mean, anyone can knock anyone out when they weigh five pounds more.
- Anthony Johnson's knockout of Kevin Burns was indeed sweet justice, but when he knelt over the fallen Burns and carved out his eyeball with a pocket knife... I'm sorry,but that was excessive.
- I was deathly afraid that Ryan "The Human Blanket" Bader was going to show up. I was pleased that it was Ryan "The Punch People in the Head So Hard They Do Cartwheels" Bader that we all got to see.
- Efrain Escudero fought a smart fight against Phillipe Nover. Nover will be back. No doubt about it.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
- Not only was Nover recently awarded his jiu-jitsu black belt by Alexandre "Soca" Freitas, but he was issued a license to kill by Her Majesty's Secret Service and was made an honorary Power Ranger.
- According to the prophecy, "No man born of Earth can harm the one they call Phillipe Nover".
- The movie "Cloverfield" was inspired by the night Nover went out in Manhattan, had a little too much to drink and toppled three office buildings.
- Nover got over his allergy to Kryptonite a long time ago. Now it just tastes bitter.
- Nover has superpowers. Escudero does not.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
- Most. Depressing. UFC. Ever. Seriously, I love me some fights, but all those vignettes about wounded soldiers was heartbreaking.
- For this event the ratio of clobbered fighters to non-clobbered fighters at the end of the night was insane. Corey Hill had his shin snapped in half in an unaired preliminary bout (check it out on the UFC website), another fighter wound up with a busted arm, and more than a few did their best to give viewers an firsthand look at just what this Traumatic Brain Injury thing is all about.
- Jim Miller's domination of Matt Wiman was so complete, Wiman had to see a rape counselor after the bout.
- Kudos to Razak Al-Hassan for reminding us how useless Tae Kwon Do is in an MMA fight.
- Nate Loughran's game plan of letting Tim Credeur repeatedly punch him in the face came so close to paying off. So close.
- Jonathan Goulet and Yoshiyuki Yoshida: getting knocked the hell out and going into convulsions so you don't have to.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
- In the opening bout of the evening, light-heavyweights Duke (from GI Joe) and Destro (from Cobra) will clash in what should be a classic "striker vs. international arms dealer/terrorist" fight. Expect Duke to come out on top after a three-round donnybrook.
- In the welterweight division, ninjas Snake Eyes (GI Joe) and Storm Shadow (Cobra) - who used to train at the same gym - will battle it out for the honor of their clan. Regardless of what happens in the cage, the ultimate winner in this one is the fans.
- The UFC's first female MMA bout will feature Scarlett (GI Joe) taking on the Baroness (Cobra), and if Scarlett is allowed to use her crossbow, she should be able to dispatch her opponent via TKO in short order.
- In the main event, US Marine Corp exponent Gung Ho (GI Joe) will take on Serpentor (Cobra), who is comprised of the DNA of Julius Caeser, Napolean Bonaparte, Attila the Hun and a common garden snake. Gung Ho should have a rough time of it, but Serpentor might get distracted by that massive globe and anchor tattoo on his chest long enough for Gung Ho to pull off a submission.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
- Tom Gallicchio vs. Rich Ashkar - a welterweight bout that was supposed to be a title fight at the last ROC.
- Matt Lee vs. TBA - Lee is a tough-as-nails lightweight and took Eddie Alvarez the distance at a BodogFIGHT.
- Al Buck vs. Jose Rodriguez - a welterweight battle between two huge ticket sellers.
- Doug Gordon vs. Mike Medrano - two very strong welterweights with promising futures.
- Chris Schlesinger vs. Andrew Calandrelli - a lightweight scrap featuring excellent grapplers.
- Mahnseah Boley vs. Pat Collins - a heavyweight Bombsquad vs. AMA FC/Team Renzo bout.
- Kevin Roddy vs. TBA - Roddy is exciting and one of the best featherweights in the Garden State.
- Ryan Smith vs. Anthony D'Angelo - welterweight D'Angelo is a dangerous fighter, and has been a force at New Jersey shows for years.
- Lester Caslow vs. Pat White - featherweight Caslow is a very talented up-and-comer.
- Brian DeMuro vs. Eric Henry - Team Balance vs. Bombsquad at welterweight.
- Steve DeAngelis vs. Doug Solnier - DeAngelis is a top-ranked featherweight and BCX champ.
- Anthony Leone vs. Joey Camacho - Camacho is another tough featherweight.
- Daniel Tavares vs. Brian Danner - two relative newcomers.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
- Joseph Benavidez and Danny Martinez did not impress. But I guess that's why we have a fast-forward button on our DVR, right?
- You have to have a real solid grasp of jiu-jitsu and submission grappling to have appreciated Wagnney Fabiano's chess match with Akitoshi Tamura - which is a shame, because it was a great fight to watch in that regard.
- Based on his performance, there's no question Fabiano is going to give Mike Brown, Urijah Faber and Leonard Garcia a tough time.
- Did Brian Bowles earn a title shot against Miguel Torres with his defeat of Will Ribeiro? I hope not. Bowles showed he's got nothing Torres need worry about.
- Not only did Torres beat Manny Tapia convincingly, but he beat Tapia convincingly at Tapia's own game. Now THAT'S what a champion is made of.
- Ryan Bader is nonstop excitement and in his bout with Eliot Marshall he showed a wide range of mixed martial arts skills.
- Good Lord am I kidding. That performance was all suck, all the time.
- How well-rounded is Phillipe Nover? After tapping George Roop out with a kimura, he gave Roop a post-fight medical examination in the locker room - and then prescribed him pain medication for his shoulder!
- Krzysztof Soszynski introduced an interesting formula. He stated that one punch turns a jiu-jitsu black belt into a brown belt, and one combination can turn that same fighter into a white belt. What does a kick turn that black belt into? A purple belt? What about a knee to the midsection? A judo throw? An elbow to the jaw?
- I don't know what's worse: Browning's disgraceful actions in the house or Dana White's disgraceful decision to let him stay.
- The episode ended with coach Nogueira shaving coach Mir's head. This little bit of hairstyling coupled with White's "beat him off" comment is why TUF night is huge in gay bars across the nation.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
- To honor their Hispanic heritage, Joseph Benavidez and Danny Martinez will not partake in a siesta between rounds.
- Alex Karalexis will not pause during his bout against Bart Palaszewksi to admire the Midwest fighter's collection of tattoos.
- Regardless of whether they win or lose, fans will still have no idea who Brian Bowles and Will Ribeiro are after their bout.
- Miguel Torres will prove once again that he is the best 135-pound fighter in the world, and whenever he's shown on camera at a Zuffa event, casual MMA fans around the globe will still not applaud.