Friday, November 14, 2008
With winter just around the corner, Tamdan McCrory is counting on a win at UFC 91 - and it's not because a "W" would propel him further up the welterweight rankings. No, the well-rounded scrapper, whose quick rise to the top of the East Coast rankings garnered him a berth in the UFC after only a year of competition, is hoping a victory against opponent Dustin Hazelett will provide him with the cash needed to move into an actual house. "They call me the 'Barncat' because I live in a barn," says McCrory while picking hay from his hair. "Do you have any idea how cold it gets in a barn in January? It gets pretty damn cold." McCrory's only brush with defeat came at UFC 78 against Akihiro Gono, and he has since defeated the tough Luke Cummo. Does he have the tools to withstand Hazelett's jiu-jitsu attack? "Tools? Dude, I live in barn. I got all sorts of tools." UFC 91 airs Saturday night on pay-per-view, and features some wrestling dudes in the main event.
It's been a busy week for news. Here are some haiku to bring you up to speed, courtesy of MMA Journalist:
- Todd Beard likes to yell/ and make threats. Kim Couture likes/ restraining orders.
- Showtime is footing/ the bill for Affliction's next/ show. Boy, are they dumb.
- Dana White changes/ his mind on women fighting./ Benjamins, baby!
- Whoever wins the/ KenFlo-Stevenson bout gets/ to be killed by Penn.
- Randy Couture is/ apparently very old. / Has that ever mattered?
The ninth episode of the season means we're winding down with all the outside storylines of where the fighters came from and why they're raging alcoholics. Thank God. TUF excels when it's all about which fighters are the best and which fighters suck. I could care less that Junie Browning lives in a trailer and Ryan Bader is wanted in three states for cattle rustling.
- According to those who saw advance copies, episode nine was supposed to feature Dave Kaplan and Tom Lawlor drinking each other's urine, but SpikeTV wisely edited that out for the broadcast. Accent on the word "wisely", folks.
- Kaplan wasn't lying when he said he couldn't be knocked out. However, he omitted the fact that he's narcoleptic. When Lawlor socked him on the jaw, Kaplan actually fell asleep. No lie.
- Every household item moved into Krzysztof Soszynski's room? Every plate and spoon and fork on the basketball court? Those are the lamest pranks ever. In my day, decent pranks ended with a body count. Damn kids...
- Not only does Frank Mir stink at soccer, but he stinks at losing too.
- After having to face the vastly more-experienced Ben Rothwell twice in the IFL, Soszynski has definitely earned a few easy fights. We'll mark off his TUF bout against Kyle Kingsbury as one of the easy ones.